Respecting our environment, respecting community …Our respect for environment and community has motivated us to continually strive to offset our environmental footprint. Over the years our forward-thinking approach has seen us implement several initiatives designed to promote sustainability and support the precious bionetwork of our estate. For example:
- Our 250,000 tea bush plantation, ribboned by our plantings of over 2,000 rainforest trees and shrubs, is a significant carbon sink for generations to come.
- We power much of our energy needs naturally, through our investment in over 400 solar panels.
- We enjoy a network of streams and watercourses passing through our estate. All are vibrant with an array of water creatures and birdlife, a testimony to our continuing efforts in preserving the unique eco-systems that comprise our estate. Conducting our entire operations here in Australia reduces our Global footprint by reducing the volume of Global shipping movements and thus carbon emissions
- To promote wellbeing and share its multiple health benefits with Australia, we pioneered the nation’s first green tea in the late 1980s.
- We employ a locally-sourced team of fifty people; giving back to the community and economy that has welcomed and embraced us since we turned the soil for our very first tea plant.
- Encouraging consumers to consider their environmental footprint through the promotion of reusable and recyclable items, such as refillable wooden tea boxes, caddies, and canvas tote bags.
But we think we can do better …Madura is proudly 100% Australian owned and operated, and our beautiful country is home to some of the world’s most liveable cities. But, when it comes to sustainable development and environmental issues, especially those listed in the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals, Australia has a long way to go to meet the standards set by other countries around the world. Sadly, Australia rates poorly on clean energy and climate change goals – we have some of the world’s highest carbon emissions per person. We also fall short on environmental goals, with high levels of solid waste and land clearing, as well as loss of biodiversity. While we can’t change what other companies are doing to minimise their impact on the environment, we believe we can lead by example when it comes to our standards, policies and practices.
Be the change you want to see in the world…To this end, we’re excited to be working on several new initiatives that align with the ideals and principles that underpin every aspect of our business, constantly reassessing the way we do things, including our packaging. Our pressing aim is to have all our packaging completely recyclable or reusable. Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” And while it might seem like the care and protection of our environment is an overwhelming task, by making small changes – or big ones where you can – every little bit contributes to supporting and protecting our planet.
Perhaps you can make some changes too?You don’t need to restructure your life to help the environment. There are many little things you can do to give it a helping hand while being a fabulous role model for your family and community. Here’s some inspiration:
- Recycle paper, glass and cans
- Shop with reusable bags
- Keep a rainwater tank
- Use ‘green’ detergents and cleaners
- Consider using Madura Loose Leaf Teas rather than teabags
- Grow a herb garden and fertilise it with used Madura tea leaves
- Keep chickens for eggs
- Drive an electric car or ride a bicycle
- Make meals using whole foods to reduce packaging
- Pick up litter when you see it
- Say no to plastic drinking straws
- Make a compost heap
- Recycle old clothing and furniture
- Turn off lights when you leave a room
- Plant water-friendly natives in your gardens
Madura Tea – Our commitment …As a company, we’ve pledged to maintain the standards and principles on which Madura was built. We also want to inspire people to make healthy choices - not just for themselves, but the environment we live in. It is for this reason that we too will continue to invest in innovative, socially responsible, and positive practices that support our environment and community – this is our commitment. We’re all in this together! Have you got any environmentally friendly tips or photographs you want to share? We’d love to see what the rest of Australia is doing to give our planet a helping hand. Send yours to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about Madura's goals for environmental sustainability contact us or phone (02) 6670 2000.
Have you considered utilising a reusable tea caddy?