1. Stay HydratedStaying hydrated ensures your body can function properly and can defend itself more effectively against a cold or flu. It also helps to loosen mucus and relieve congestion. According to health experts, when you have a cold or flu you should aim for a minimum of eight 250ml cups of fluid daily. Tea is the perfect way to reach your target – sip it slowly for a warming, hydrating beverage, rich in antioxidants and potassium for maintaining body fluids.
2. Soothe and ComfortIt’s often said a cup of tea makes everything better, and while tea may not be able to cure a bad cold or a bout of flu, it’s guaranteed to provide emotional and physical comfort. Chai Tea with its powerful blend of black tea, herbs and spices is a popular tonic among Eastern cultures for its ability to calm the mind, fight inflammation and enhance the immune system. Try Madura’s Seven Spice Chai - the aromatic blend of spices and herbs will fill the room with a rich, warm fragrance that will wrap around you like your favourite blanket. For a natural throat soother reach for Madura’s Lemon and Ginger Herbal Infusion and add a drizzle of honey for an extra boost. Ginger is also a natural fighter of respiratory infections and aids in the reduction of stress and anxiety.
3. Rest and RecoverWhen you have a cold or flu, remember the adage of ‘rest is best’ and give your body time to fight and recover. When you’re dealing with a systemic virus with symptoms of fatigue, aches and pains, rest is necessary. Herbal teas have long been prescribed by naturopaths and herbalists to aid with the prevention of colds and flu, alleviate the symptoms, and promote a good night’s sleep to help your body rest and recover. Madura’s Camomile Herbal Infusion Tea is just what the doctor ordered when it comes to rest and recovery. Camomile helps regulate sleep and acts as a natural remedy against those nights of tossing and turning. Sip a cup half an hour before bed time, or try our Camomile and Honey for a natural energy source, sleep promoter, and cough treatment.
4. Boost Your Immune SystemWhen you have a cold or flu, your immune system works hard to fight against the virus. Tea is a natural champion of the immune system and can help keep it in shape for peak performance. Green Tea is loaded with powerful antioxidants and trace minerals that help flush your body of free radicals. While modern studies have found green tea contains anti-inflammatory and anti-infective properties, it earned a reputation century ago as the healthiest beverage known to man. Give your immune system a fighting chance with Madura’s Green Tea and Papaya for a natural immune boost, infused with a dose of Vitamin C. Or cuddle up with a mug of Madura’s Australian Lemon Myrtle from our Herbal Infusions range. Lemon myrtle acts as a natural cold and flu fighter with antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. It can help strengthen your immune system or treat a sore throat by killing bacteria and reducing inflammation.
5. Share the LoveWe all know a cold or flu is highly contagious, so chances are your family, friends, or neighbours could also be hit by the dreaded lurgy this winter. Even if you can’t take their fever, aches and pains away, there’s nothing quite as comforting as a soothing cup of tea. This simple, economical, heartfelt gesture is as easy as putting the kettle on; so share the love with your favourite Madura blends. Madura’s Detox Box makes a great gift for a sick loved one. Containing 72 assorted tea bags selected for their health-giving properties in an attractive reusable wooden box, it will be cherished long after recovery.
6. Be Proactive in PreventionTo give yourself and others the best chance at avoiding a cold or flu this season be proactive when it comes to preventing infection and transmission. Wash your hands frequently, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, and avoid close contact with people who have a virus. If you're ill, always cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and avoid close contact with healthy people. Madura are strong advocates for staying fit, strong and healthy on the inside and out. Colds and flus can be unavoidable and we might not always have our health … but we'll always have tea. To learn more about the health benefits of tea and Madura's quality blends, organic and herbal teas, phone (02) 6670 2000 or visit our Madura online store Sources researched: https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2018/03/23/australia-prepares-for-flu-season/ https://www.myvmc.com/treatments/cold-and-flu-what-to-eat-and-drink-to-get-better-faster/#c6 https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/tea-leaves-and-health (source no longer available)
https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-green-tea/ https://www.fabhow.com/how-to-use-ginger-for-cold-and-flu.html http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/health-benefits-of-lemon-myrtle/#gref https://www.menshealth.com/health/g19544835/flu-fighting-fruits/?slide=2 www.flu.gov