Tea isn't just for drinking any more – try these decadent earl grey fudge caramels and discover why we love Christmas treats with a tea’wist’!
- Oil (for greasing)
- 300ml whole milk
- 350g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 3/4 tsp Earl Grey loose leaf tea (amount can be adjusted based on desired flavor strength)
- Grease an 18cm square cake tin with butter
- Add the milk, sugar and butter into a heavy-based saucepan.
- Heat slowly over a low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.
- Bring to the boil, and boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Once the mixture has reached the soft-ball stage (115°C on a sugar thermometer), remove from the heat and stir in the tea leaves and salt.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the mixture with a spoon for a few minutes until it starts to thicken and the gloss disappears.
- Pour into the prepared tin and leave to set at room temperature.
- Once set, cut the fudge into small squares and store in a sealed container.