This beautiful pumpkin and ginger cake with lemon myrtle frosting is a perfect accompaniment to a cold and frosty winter’s day. This delightful recipe is an adaption to the humble gingerbread recipe with the surprise ingredient of pumpkin making a guest appearance. The Australian Lemon Myrtle buttercream frosting compliments this delicious cake with its delicate citrus taste and beautiful sweet aroma. Serve with your favourite brew while you enjoy one or two sneaky pieces.
- 125 g butter
- 75 g dark muscovado sugar
- 150 g treacle
- 150 g golden syrup
- 250 g grated pumpkin
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 eggs beaten
Lemon Myrtle Buttercream:
- 2-3 teaspoons of lemon myrtle loose-leaf tea
- 1/3 cup full cream milk
- 220 grams butter, unsalted and room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
PURE AUSTRALIAN LEMON MYRTLEWe’re 100% Australian owned and operated, so it goes without saying that we’d showcase one of our country’s greatest native flavours. Lemon myrtle has a sweet citral fragrance that, when brewed, translates to a refreshing lemony beverage that captures the heart of our regional location in Northern New South Wales where lemon myrtle thrives.
Ready. Set. Bake.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a 20cm square baking tin.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter, dark muscovado sugar, treacle and golden syrup together.
- Stir in the grated pumpkin.
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda, and add the ground ginger.
- Mix well and then add the beaten eggs, stirring until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin before removing and decorating.
- For the Lemon Myrtle Buttercream, heat the milk until just below boiling point, add the lemon myrtle tea leaves and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain the milk and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the sifted icing sugar, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the cooled milk and mix until the buttercream is smooth and creamy.
- Use the buttercream to decorate the cooled pumpkin cake as desired.
Our award-winning brews are a combination of passion, pioneering and personality. Over 26 blends with one ultimate goal: the purest, cleanest and best tasting brew. Visit links for more information on our 100% Australian owned business, or to discover our exciting range.100% Australian owned