Skip to content
Tea And Lemon Meringue
What You Need
- 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- Zest and juice of 4 lemons
- 100g unsalted butter
- 325g caster sugar
- 8 eggs, 4 separated
- Few drops malt vinegar
Delish – ensure to enjoy with a Madura brew!
- Preheat oven to 180C/fan forced.
- Roll out pastry and use to line 8 x 10cm fluted loose-bottom tart cases.
- Prick the cases with a fork and bake blind for 20 mins.
- Set aside to cool and level the pastry with a serrated knife.
- Heat zest, juice, butter, and 225g sugar in a large heavy-based pan until sugar dissolves.
- Beat the whole eggs and yolks together and stir into the pan.
- Stir over low heat for 5-10 mins until thickened, then sieve into a bowl and spoon into the cases.
- Whisk egg whites with 50g sugar until stiff peaks form, then whisk in vinegar and remaining sugar.
- Place a dollop of meringue on top of each tart and make little peaks on each.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins or until just browned on top.
- Allow to cool and serve with your favourite friend or neighbour.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.