- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat white flour (or whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, frozen and cubed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, frozen
- 4 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2-3 medium apples*, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup of brewed Madura chai
- Cinnamon for dusting
NOTE: The night before: prepare apples and place in a bowl with the chai brew. Allow the apple and chai tea to soak overnight if possible – drain once infused. Before you begin, make sure your butter is cut into ½” cubes and frozen. Also freeze your coconut oil: line a small bowl with plastic wrap and measuring out ¼ cup of coconut oil into lined bowl. Freeze for at least 30 minutes, or until frozen solid. Also add a few ice cubes into small bowl of water, plus apple cider vinegar
- Pulse together flours, salt, and granulated sugar in a food processor.
- Add frozen cubed butter and pulse about 5 times.
- Break apart frozen coconut oil into chunks and add to the food processor, pulse about 6 times.
- Add ice-cold water + Apple Cider Vinegar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between until the dough comes together.
- Preheat oven to 220C and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a flat surface, make a circle shape about 10” in diameter, and transfer it to the baking sheet.
- Chill the dough in the fridge while preparing the apples.
- Gently toss together sliced chai-infused apples with 3 TBS sugar and maple syrup in a medium bowl.
- Once the dough has chilled, arrange apples in a single layer in the middle of the dough, leaving about 1-2 inches of room on the outside.
- Fold over extra dough onto the edge of the apples and pinch together any spots where the dough has come apart.
- Brush crust with egg wash and dust with coconut, rolled oats, or sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake galette for 14-17 minutes or until crust is lightly golden.
- Allow galette to cool on the pan for 5-10 minutes and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Slice galette into 6-8 triangles and serve with whipped coconut cream or ice cream.