Chai and Blueberry Sauce - decadent Chai for Christmas, juicy Australian grown blueberries for summer; drizzled over a delicious Pavlova with crunch; a perfect match in our eyes – double BOOM! Makes approximately 1 cup however double ingredients for more cheer.
- 1 cup of fresh Australian grown blueberries
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbs water
- 1 tsp Madura Chai tea – extra if you want a deeper, rich flavour
- 1/4 cup white sugar (we love Sunshine Sugar’s Caster Sugar- made from sugar cane grown in our beautiful Northern Rivers region of New South Wales)
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean (or ½ tsp of pure vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon pure cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter (we use Norco’s Danish Style unsalted butter – simply delicious and local)
- Brew tea with ¼ cup + 1 tbs water and 1 tsp chai tea to packet instructions – set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine blueberries, sugar, vanilla bean seeds and ¼ cup of the tea.
- Break up some of the blueberries as you stir the mixture. Heat until the mixture is boiling and the sugar is dissolved, stirring often.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of leftover chai tea. Pour this mixture into the saucepan.
- Continue stirring blueberry mixture over medium-low heat for 4 minutes or until the mixture has thickened to your liking (less time if you prefer more syrupy sauce, more time if you prefer thicker sauce).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and stir until melted butter is combined.
- Serve over Pavlova with a large dollop of fresh cream – and we do mean large. Enjoy…. Recipe adapted from: Sara Hamling